Malpa means friend/helper in Pintupi.
For people from remote communities moving to a regional centre like Alice Springs for dialysis is often a stressful and scary experience. Far away from family and country, feeling sick and confused and having to negotiate the health care system presents many challenges.
Our Social Support ‘Malpas’ act as friends for dialysis patients and their families providing support and assistance in a range of situations.
We can help with:
- Assisting people to find accommodation
- Sorting out Centrelink/carers benefits
- Accessing emergency relief and support
- Assisting patients through advocacy
- Assistance with transport to attend appointments
We also bring people together for social activities such as lunches, bush picnics and outings, and visit people at hospital or their homes to make sure they are not lonely.