Social Support Malpas
Malpa means friend/helper in Pintupi.
Moving to Alice Springs because your kidneys are failing is often a traumatic experience. Far away from your family and country, feeling sick and confused and having to negotiate the health care system presents many challenges.
Our Social Support ‘Malpas’ act as friends for people from the Western Desert and Tanami regions of the Northern Territory and Western Australia, providing support and assistance in a range of situations.
We can help with:
- Looking at accommodation options
- Sorting out Centrelink/carers benefits
- Accessing emergency relief
- Advocating on your behalf
- Assistance with transport to attend appointments
We also bring people together for social activities such as lunches, bush picnics and outings, and visit people at hospital or their homes to make sure they are not lonely.